RE: Listing single occurrences of namespace labels

Subject: RE: Listing single occurrences of namespace labels
From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 11:28:22 -0000
> I've been through the XSL-list and know that it is possible to list
> unique values using preceding-sibling,
> but couldn't get it to work when trying to use the local-name() as the
> checking value.

This technique only works for eliminating duplicate string-values of nodes,
not for eliminating duplicates in the results of any other function. That's
because it relies on the semantics of $ns1 = $ns2 to mean "true if there is
a pair of nodes from ns1 and ns2 that have the same string value".

> It may have been the incorrect syntax:
>
>  <xsl:apply-templates select="book[not(local-name(*//.) =
> preceding-sibling::*//local-name(.))]"/>

It is incorrect. You can't use a function call as a step within a location
path.
And *//. is syntactically correct but fairly meaningless, I don't really
know what you're trying to get at.

I'd suggest using Muenchian grouping for this one: see www.jenitennison.com.
Define a key such as <xsl:key name="k" match="*" use="local-name(*)"/>

Alternatively in Saxon there's:

saxon:distinct(*, saxon:expression('local-name()'))

Mike Kay