Re: [xsl] Images and XSL FO

Subject: Re: [xsl] Images and XSL FO
From: Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 16:24:16 +0000
Paul Grosso writes:
 > Correct.  The theory of floats is complex (anyone familiar with the
 > details of TeX's inserts and such, as I know Sebastian is, can
 > appreciate this, and what TeX does with floats is less than half
 > of the actual complexity), and the XSL WG decided we'd never get
 > the XSL spec out if we didn't make some simplifying assumptions
 > in this area (the other alternative was to leave vertical floats
 > out of XSL 1.0 altogether, and we didn't want to do that).  So we
 > allowed for top floats only (and footnotes, but via the fo:footnote
 > FO) in XSL 1.0.

I would have much preferred it if you had not been specific about
*top floats*, but said simply that they floated somewhere else,
details to be left to the formatter. No matter. I will assume that if
PassiveTeX's floats end up at the bottom of the page, no-one will
actually sue me.

Now to see if I can make "side floats" work....

Sebastian