[xsl] fo:multi-switch, etc

Subject: [xsl] fo:multi-switch, etc
From: "Jon Smirl" <jonsmirl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 22:29:44 -0500
I just noticed the multi-* portions of XSL:fo in section 6.9. Until these
sections were added I had considered XSL:fo to be a very clean spec. Now I'm
not so sure.

Why were these tags added instead of using the already existing concept of
the DOM and behaviors?
Event DOM: http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-2-Events/events.html
CSS Behaviors: http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/WD-becss-19990804

XSL:fo could have a set of standard behaviors that could then be attached to
any tag instead of creating new tags. This looks to me like a much more
general and cleaner approach. The standard behavior approach is not
incompatible with translation to PDF. You'd just look for the standard
behavior instead of the special tag.

I would argue that all interactivity with XSL:fo be specified via the
DOM/behaviors mechanism and nothing be allowed into the basic XSL:fo
language. This would be a good case for merging a schema describing
behaviors with XSL:fo.

Jon Smirl
jonsmirl@xxxxxxxxxxxx