RE: [xsl] Quasi-Literals and XML

Subject: RE: [xsl] Quasi-Literals and XML
From: James Robertson <jamesr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 15:42:25 +1100
At 01:13 1/02/2001, Linda van den Brink wrote:

My point is that in the first place the statement that XSL is not
Turing-complete is debatable, in the second place I'm not convinced that XSL
is severely restricted in the possible transformations, and in the third
place I wonder whether there is a causal relationship between lack of
turing-completeness of XSL and restrictions in possible transformations.

Without regular exprssions (for example), XSLT cannot be used for transformations from "x" to XML, where "x" is some arbitrary source file.

You are also limited in how much you can (easily)
manipulate the content of XML as part of the
transformation.

This is a pretty big constraint.

------------------------- James Robertson Step Two Designs Pty Ltd SGML, XML & HTML Consultancy Illumination: an out-of-the-box Intranet solution

http://www.steptwo.com.au/