Re: [xsl] RE: syntax sugar for call-template

Subject: Re: [xsl] RE: syntax sugar for call-template
From: "Clark C. Evans" <cce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 20:56:23 -0500 (EST)
On Sun, 18 Feb 2001, David Carlisle wrote:
>    I do not like the idea of "return" inside a "template", I was
>    only after an abbreviated method to call templates from within
>    other templates; not call templates from within a xpath expr.
>
> Maybe I lost the thread of this thread but I thought your suggested
> short form was exactly calling the template using xpath extension
> function syntax?

I was just suggesting that there be a "xf" namespace
such that:

  <xf:func arg="val" />    is treated as    <xsl:call-template
                                              name="func">
                                              <xsl:with-param
                                                name="arg"
                                                select="val" />
                                            </xsl:call-template>

This would make for a very simple syntax for calling a
template with within another template.  And this syntax
can easily be implemented using XSLT 1.0 using a stylesheet.

>    If I had a need for calling a method from within XPath, then
>    I *do* like your suggestion about a seperate "function" declaration
>    for creating functions callable from Xpath.  It makes sense
>    to have it a seperate construct for the reasons I believe
>    you pointed out:
>    different from the 'template requirements; and as such
>    they should be seperate constructs.  I belive this is your
>    position isn't it?  IMHO, trying to merge them will be
>    FAQ heaven....
>
> Oh so basic agreement around then on this point, it seems.

There are two seperate items:

  (a) making a way to define 'xpath' functions
      from within XSLT (thus it must be a function
      and support boolean, string, node-set, and
      number data types)

  (b) a less verbose call-template syntax

I'm after the latter, while it appears many on this list
are designing the former.

;) Clark