RE: Performance -- Re: [xsl] RE:"*NEVER* use for-each"

Subject: RE: Performance -- Re: [xsl] RE:"*NEVER* use for-each"
From: "Evan Lenz" <elenz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 16:05:44 -0800
Patrick, Curtis W wrote:
> Please note that the use of "for-each" is not a design requirement, but
> rather an implementation detail.  Perhaps that misunderstanding
> was the root
> of your earlier project failures.

It's quite possible that I'm misunderstanding what you're saying here, but
the flexibility, modularity, and power of template rules often certainly do
make template rules a "design requirement" over using xsl:for-each. I would
definitely not consider one approach over the other as an "implementation
detail"; just look at the difference between the two examples I gave in my
last post (Subject: Template rules vs. XQuery). Granted, template rules (or
an equivalently confusing recursive named template) are not absolutely
necessary for many use cases, but from a design standpoint template rules
lend themselves toward easier maintenance and reusability (eg. xsl:import)
than if only xsl:for-each is used.

Evan Lenz
XYZFind Corp.