Re: [xsl] docbook.xsl by nwalsh and german umlaute

Subject: Re: [xsl] docbook.xsl by nwalsh and german umlaute
From: "Kurt Cagle" <cagle@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 00:08:38 -0500
This is per spec. The only named entities that are implicitly supported in
XSLT are &lt;, &gt;, and &amp;. You have to explicitly define any other
named references using a DTD declaration, which has always struck me as
being somewhat ugly. Of course, you could always create a variable that does
the mapping: <xsl:variable name="auml" select="&#228;"/>. This works better
in attributes than it does in text elements:

<el attr="h{$auml}s"/>


<el>h<xsl:value-of select="$auml"/>s</el>

-- Kurt cagle
----- Original Message -----
From: "Meltem Kogelbauer" <meltem.kogelbauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, April 20, 2001 11:42 AM
Subject: RE: [xsl] docbook.xsl by nwalsh and german umlaute

I am using xalan v2 and numeric entity references are accepted but not the
name entity references.


-----Original Message-----
From: Janning Vygen [mailto:vygen@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 20 April 2001 5:06 PM
To: xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [xsl] docbook.xsl by nwalsh and german umlaute

Thank you.
i tried icu but it didnt work either.
i posted my question to the xalan-dev mailing list hoping for an answer.


Am Freitag, 20. April 2001 17:30 schrieb David_N_Bertoni@xxxxxxxxx:
> Janning Vygen wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > if have created a simple xml file:
> >
> > ...
> >
> > if i call xalanC it returns:
> > XSLException Type is : TranscodingException
> Hi Janning,
> It's probably better to ask this question on the Xalan developer list,
> since this is a processor-specific question.  You might want to subscribe
> and post further questions there:
> I just tested this on Windows 2000, using the official Xalan 1.1 release,
> and it transformed without error.  Without more information, for example,
> your platform, I can only guess that there is no transcoder available for
> ISO-8859-1, or that your source document is not using the correct values
> for those characters.  The only encodings that are always supported are
> UTF-8 and UTF-16.
> > so i replaced in the XML file the german umlaute with entities:
> > <!DOCTYPE book [
> >  <!ENTITY auml "&#228;">
> >  <!ENTITY ouml "&#246;">
> > ]>
> >
> > and replaced the german umlaute with entities:
> >
> > <para>deutsche Umlaue: &auml; &ouml;</para>
> >
> > But still XalanC says:
> > XSLException Type is : TranscodingException
> This won't make any difference, as the parser expands the entities before
> Xalan sees the character data for the text node.  If the parser can't
> transcode the source document, it isn't even getting to the internal
> subset.
> > What can I do next, why it is so difficult. why cant i just use german
> > umlaute...
> You can, you just can't use ISO-8859-1.  You might try using the entities
> defined in the internal subset, and specify UTF-8 as the encoding for the
> source and stylesheet documents, and for the encoding attribute of
> xsl:output.
> If you really need support for ISO-8859-1, please read the Xerces-C and
> Xalan-C++ documentation on integrating the International Classes for
> Unicode (ICU), which will enable a vast number of encodings.
> Dave
>  XSL-List info and archive:

Planwerk 6 /websolutions
Herzogstraße 86
40215 Düsseldorf

fon 0211-6015919
fax 0211-6015917

 XSL-List info and archive:

 XSL-List info and archive:

 XSL-List info and archive:

Current Thread