Re: [xsl] XSL FO and change bars

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSL FO and change bars
From: Jim Melton <jim.melton@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 08:09:11 -0600
Mark, et al,

At 08:46 AM 05/07/2001 -0400 Monday, Mark Nahabedian <naha@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

    I do not immediately see how to implement change bars through XSLT
    and XSL FO.

What are you starting with?

    * Two XML documents of the same schema that first need to be
      compared with one another?

    * An XML document and additional descriptions of what has changed
      relative to some previous version?  Are such descriptions
      provided as XPath expressions which bound the start and end of
      each changed region?  Are they in the same order as the affected
      parts of the document?

I don't know enough about XSL myself to help you with your problem but
these questions might help clarify the problem and how to approach it.

Actually, I'm not comparing two versions of a document, nor am I comparing two documents of the same schema. Instead, I wish to manually insert markup (tags, elements) into the XML source file to indicate "here's the start of something new or changed" and "here's the end of the new or changed section" (as well as "here's the point where I deleted something"). This is related to the second of your two scenarios/bullets above, except this would not be external descriptions, but internal markup.

I have no problem defining those tags/elements in my DTD or schema, nor writing XSLT code to handle them and process them into XSL FO. What I cannot figure out is whether it is possible to actually identify the vertical offset on a page where the changebar must start (corresponding to the "start tag" and the vertical offset on a possibly different page where the changebar must stop (corresponding to the "end tag").

Apologies all around for not making this clear in my initial submission.

Thanks again,
   Jim
Jim Melton --- Editor of ISO/IEC 9075-* (SQL)     Phone: +1.801.942.0144
Oracle Corporation            Oracle Email: mailto:jim.melton@xxxxxxxxxx
1930 Viscounti Drive          Standards email: mailto:jim.melton@xxxxxxx
Sandy, UT 84093-1063           Personal email: mailto:jim.melton@xxxxxxx
USA                                                Fax : +1.801.942.3345