Re: [xsl] converting old <a> .css properties to a style attribute

Subject: Re: [xsl] converting old <a> .css properties to a style attribute
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2001 12:00:24 +0100
> That's an interesting question - what is the overlap between XSL & CSS?

The question was about using XSLT to generate HTML so the overlap
between XSLT and CSS is essentially none.

There is of course some overlap in functionality between XSL-FO and CSS
but that's a different thread.

> For example, I might want to have style sheets for displaying HTML documents
> (and these documents have been transformed from XML); how does this "play" into
> translating the XML into, say, PDF? Can I have CSS for the XML documents?

You can have CSS for XML documents, but unless your XML is structurally
a lot like HTML there isn't much point, CSS can only decorate an
existing tree with displaay properties, it can't re-arrange the tree
so if you need to generate and re-arrange text while displaying the XML
you'll need something like XSLT. If on the other hand you just have a
simple XML format that maps directly to CSS objects like paragraphs,
tables etc, you may be able to do it with just css.

David