RE: [xsl] need an "&" in my text!!!Please help!

Subject: RE: [xsl] need an "&" in my text!!!Please help!
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 18:52:11 +0100
Hey, Peter, you're right ... I tried the plain '&' in an SGML parser (which I'm assuming knows the rules better than I do) and it didn't choke! ...Learn something new every day...

(As long as it wasn't followed by a name start character. When it was, it did. But what's a name start character in SGML? Or maybe we just shouldn't go there.)

But XSLT processors escape it even in html output (which is not expected to be well formed, but to conform to HTML4). Being safe I guess.

Cheers,
Wendell

At 01:13 PM 7/6/01, you wrote:
On Tue, 03 Jul 2001, Wendell wrote:

> just fine. It is, after all, correct HTML and the way it *should* be done.
> A plain '&' may display in some browsers, but it's illegal HTML (since in
> HTML, as in XML, the & is the open markup delimiter for entity references).

No, an isolated & is perfectly valid HTML because it's SGML.
It's incorrect in XHTML, which is what XSLT processors
generate -- but an HTML browser is unaware of this.

///Peter