Re: [xsl] Is XML-SPY useful for xslt?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Is XML-SPY useful for xslt?
From: Laurence O Garfield <lgarfiel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 09:58:11 -0500 (CDT)
On Tue, 17 Jul 2001 RSuiter@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Louise Lane asked (among other things):
> > is XML Spy not good for xslt? is there a better gui based product to use?
> I agree with previous postings that your problems are not the fault of XML
> Spy.
> I've found it to be adequate for XSLT coding, but I don't think it adds
> very much over Notepad, either.
> It gives you colorizing of the XSLT statements as you enter them, which
> helps you see certain typos and stuff,
> but there are other, cheaper products that do as much.
>
> Rick Suiter

XML Spy does a lot more than just syntax highlighting.  If you have a DTD
or Schema against which to validate, it offers fairly good code completion
features as well.  (XSLT, of course, has neither.)  Personally, I'm more
impressed with their grid view.  It takes a while to get used to, but I've
found it invaluable when writing XSLT to be able to drag and drop elements
around in the tree.  It's a lot nicer than trying to handle a complicated
tree in straight text format, colorized or no.

$200 is still a pretty steep price for it, unfortunately.

--Larry Garfield