Re: [xsl] Can you have a dummy XSL?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Can you have a dummy XSL?
From: "Michael Beddow" <mbnospam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 13:28:16 +0100
Wednesday, August 01, 2001 11:50 AM
Hewko, Doug wrote:

> Can you have a XSL that does not do any text formatting or
> processing? I am working on a web page and want to enforce
> a standard look and feel. Part of  this standard is a generic
> header title, left bar navigation and footer information. Tables
> would be used to maintain this look and feel. The title,
> left bar and footer will contain text, links and icons. These would
> all be standard.

I'm not sure what precisely you're asking (especially the first part)
but just in case it helps here's a skeleton of how I used to do
something like what you may be aiming at, using Cocoon

Each page looked in outline like this:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<?cocoon-process type="xslt"?>
<?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="/xsl/webpage1.xsl">
<!DOCTYPE webpage [
<!ENTITY sidelinks SYSTEM "sidelinks.xml">
<!ENTITY toplinks SYSTEM "toplinks.xml">
]>
<webpage>
<title>The Title of this page</title>
&toplinks;
&sidelinks;
<heading>Main heading for this page</heading>
</webpage>

The generic side- and topbar stuff were in the files here referenced
via entities, which the parser pulls in before applying the transform,
so the xslt gets to see a single xml document which melds the generic
elements and the specific contents. Changes to either the single files
sidelinks.xml or toplinks.xml are reflected in all the pages built from
this template.

Sorry if this is nothing like what you are aiming for.

Michael
Michael Beddow   http://www.mbeddow.net/
XML and the Humanities page:  http://xml.lexilog.org.uk/