Re: [xsl] Library functions

Subject: Re: [xsl] Library functions
From: "Nikolai Grigoriev" <grig@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 01:34:04 +0400
Carmelo,

>    But I think, they intended the "FO" processor to evaluate the
> function, not the XSLT engine.  If  I do the curly braces, then
> the XSLT engine will evaluate the expression, then a number (with
> a unit) will be passed to the FO Processor.  I guess the question now
> is which processor the specs. intends to evaluate the expression?.

All examples in the XSL spec refer to an FO processor. While you can
can (and should) calculate most values in XSLT, there are cases where
the exact value of a property can only be found during the formatting.
Examples:

content-width="max(2in, 50%)"

   Width of an image should be 2 inches or 50% of the parent reference
   area width, whichever is greater. The width of an area is calculated
   during formatting, and depends on page width; you cannot get it in XSLT.

padding="1em + 3pt"

  Padding is equal to the current font size, plus 3 points. While it is possible
  to calculate the font size in a given point in XSLT, it is hardly worth
  doing: you have to cope with inheritance.

> The reason I am confused is because the example given inside section
> 5.10.1 uses units inside the function's argument which is giving
> the FO processor a real hard time.

Not necessarily. An XSL FO processor knows length units, and has
no problems dividing them.

Regards,
Nikolai Grigoriev

RenderX