[xsl] Outputting literal and 'quoted' tags.

Subject: [xsl] Outputting literal and 'quoted' tags.
From: Emiliano <emile@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 11:55:31 +0100 (CET)
I'm seeing differing behaviour across xslt processors, I'm hoping
someone can tell me what the specced (if any) behaviour is.

I have a style sheet:

<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"

<xsl:output method="text" encoding="iso-8859-1"/>

<xsl:template match="level1">
        &lt;H1&gt;Level1&lt;/H1&gt;
        <xsl:apply-templates/>
</xsl:template>
<xsl:template match="level2">
        <H2>Level2</H2>
        <xsl:apply-templates/>
</xsl:template>
<xsl:template match="level3">
        <H3>Level3</H3>
        <xsl:apply-templates/>
</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

with which I want to output a PHP program (which is the reason for the
silly way to write <H1> etc above).

With Sablotron, all comes out as I would expect it. With Saxon, if I do
output method="text" I see the <H1> and </H1> tag but all other tags are
gone. If I do output method="html" I see The <H2> and other literal
markup, but the &lt; etc goes trough as is, not replaced by '<'.

Which would be the correct behaviour, and if Saxon does it right, how to
work around it?

Emile