Re: [xsl] CDATA required for javascript????

Subject: Re: [xsl] CDATA required for javascript????
From: Francis Norton <francis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 15:27:21 +0000
It doesn't make any difference unless or until you have some javascript code which includes reserved XML characters - namely "<" and "&". These must be escaped, either individually as "&lt;" and "&amp;" or as a block by making the whole script a CDATA section. This is probably the more readable and less error-prone method.

Francis.

yan bai wrote:

I noticed that several books put javascript in CDATA,
but also found that javascript also worked without
CDATA. <script language="javascript">
document.write(form.first_elem.value);
</script>

or

<script language="javascript">
    <xsl:comment>
        <![CDATA[
            document.write(form.first_elem.value);
        ]]>
    </xsl:comment>
</script>

Both of the above works fine.

I wonder if it is just a matter of style, or it
requires CDATA in some special cases.

Thanks.

Yan