[xsl] the problem with include and import

Subject: [xsl] the problem with include and import
From: "Matt G." <matt_g_@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2002 07:51:14
It occurred to me, while I was considering the issues relating to stylesheet library modularity with respect to dynamic scoping, that global parameters and variables already present a problem (if I'm not mistaken). In my opinion, they ought to have been scoped to the file in which they're specified. Then, they should get passed to included or imported stylesheets explicitly, via a with-param element, inside of the respective include or import element. Or, perhaps, by dynamic scoping.

I'm concerned that (assuming I'm not mistaken), if these issues aren't addressed, it may be very difficult for stylesheet libraries of any significant complexity to be developed and used, successfully.

Furthermore, this would also provide more static optimization opportunities to XSLT processors supporting some sort of evaluate() function which supports variable references.

Matthew Gruenke