RE: [xsl] use cases for d-o-e

Subject: RE: [xsl] use cases for d-o-e
From: "Nesbitt, David" <DNesbitt@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 17:28:05 -0800
Joerg,

> Poll: Who does agree we can drop d-o-e without making too much
> customers unhappy? Who does not, and why not?
> NAG members are not allowed to invoke case three to thwart
> the proposal!
>  :-) :-)

I disagree, although I guess I will get relegated to the "bad" users of
d-o-e camp.  :-)

I use XSLT to generate JSP pages, which I believe falls into your second
category.  However, I am not willing to accept the notion that I should
simply use "text" as the output method.  If I do that, it makes it much
more difficult to retain all of the HTML tags on the JSP page.

Things should get better when more containers support the XML compliant
JSP specification (i.e. <jsp:scriptlet></jsp:scriptlet> rather than <%
%>), etc.).  That would avoid alot of the d-o-e hoops I am forced to use
in order to get <% %>, <%= %>, and <%@ %> into the output.

Now it is time for true confessions.  I use the saxon:d-o-e extension
frequently in the <xsl:attribute> tag, because I often want to use JSP
scriptlets and/or expressions to set HTML attribute values (width,
onClick, etc.).  I would imagine that even using JSP XML tags would
cause a problem for HTML attribute values (e.g. <td
width="<jsp:expression>myJavaWidthVariable</jsp:expression>">).  What do
you suggest as the long-term solution in this case.  I need further
convincing that the pain of using "text" as the output method is
merited.

Regards,
Dave