RE: [xsl] use cases for d-o-e

Subject: RE: [xsl] use cases for d-o-e
From: "Bryan Rasmussen" <bry@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 11:10:06 +0100
>Especially in a namespace world (except in the evil empire) you can't
>really even store the entity definitions "ready parsed" as the
>definitions may contain namespace prefixes the meaning of which will
>depend on where the entity is used.
yeah I didn't think about that part,

I agree it would normally increase it(note that saying normally doesn't mean
I'm one hundred percent sure there are situations where it wouldn't, more
that I always just had a naive belief that a proper use of them could be
helpful), if you're declaring entities just so you can write &nbsp; instead
of &#160; I guess I was thinking more in the case of situations(these being
the kinds where I normally use them) where you have an entity built up of
other entities, which when expanded produces not just text but a number of
nodes for example. Never having given it much thought I just figured there
might be a process of optimization whereby the parser could save some power
in cases where entities lead to nodesets. Then again such optimization if it
could be achieved would prob. be at the expense of the plain text entities,
you know where &fred; expands to fred flintstone :) I always hated those
examples.
Another part where I was thinking a canny use of entities could save power
was in the declaration of xpaths, in fact I had a situation where I had to
repeatedly do a bunch of long comparisons along the preceding-sibling
following-sibling axises(axii?), I replaced  parts of my expressions with
entities and it seemed to me that I experienced a speed up in processing.
Could be self-hypnosis. Am not sure.