Re: [xsl] output last page number

Subject: Re: [xsl] output last page number
From: Patrick Durusau <pdurusau@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 14:19:24 -0500
Matthew,

Matthew L. Avizinis wrote:

Hello all,
 I am using Xalan to process some xml files for transformation to fo and
then fop to write pdf's.  I have one xml file for each chapter of a book and
I want to have a separate pdf for each chapter.  However, the page numbering
needs to be continuous from one chapter to the next.  I notice that the only
information fop needs is fo:page-number to know when to write the actual
page number to the pdf pages.  Is there a way to save the last page number
for later use, such as to write it to a temporary file?
Any suggestions are appreciated and thank you in advance.

Are you using separate stylesheets for each chapter? Not automatic but you could manually use (in each stylesheet):

<fo: page-sequence
  master-reference="chapter"
  initial-page-number="yourChapterStartPageNumber"

to force beginning on a particular page number.

See: http://www.dpawson.co.uk/xsl/sect3/bk/index.html for very good coverage of XSL (with examples).

Patrick

Matthew L. Avizinis
Gleim Publications, Inc.