[xsl] xslt and fuzzy logic

Subject: [xsl] xslt and fuzzy logic
From: "Bryan Rasmussen" <bry@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 11:54:18 +0100
Since I've noticed a lot of academics and people with more background than I
in subjects such as this I thought I'd ask:

Has anyone here ever implemented or seen implemented a fuzzy logic control
in xslt? Does anyone have any ideas on building one in xslt 2.0?

(the following example is halfway hypothetical)

Let's consider that one has three parameters; Display, speed, Function. Each
one is rated on a scale from 1-100 and is passed in from the calling
application.

Display details how important a clear display of a generated page is, with
the understanding that this means uncluttered content, all pictures are
high-res jpgs and stylistic elements are maintained(at a value of a 100)

Speed is how important load time is, if for example load time is given 100
and other parameters are 1 we would assume that we
basically want paragraphs, breaks, & links maintained in our html.

Function presumes that we have a bunch of behaviors, scripts etc. that can
be output to the page space, thereby decreasing display for the main
content, and also decreasing speed. If you choose 100 for this and 1 for the
other values then you want all 20 rss newsfeeds, the multiple soap services,
the calendar, the jabber applet, and so forth :)

I'm sure a lot of us here have made sites/applications where you can switch
between the maximum of two or three wanted parameters by choosing a
dependant branch i.e crisp logic.
What I'm interested in is to evaluate these in a fuzzy way, determining what
to do if display= 48, speed=37, and function=52.

It seems to me that xslt 2.0 and xpath 2.0 would make handling these
problems easier, to the point where it could be a user-define function.

anyhow, any ideas or examples before I make a fundamental mis-step?