[xsl] Rendering XML Server Side without using ASP

Subject: [xsl] Rendering XML Server Side without using ASP
From: "Magick, Brian" <Brian.Magick@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 13:37:17 -0600
Hi all:

I'm currently looking at alternatives that will speed up the development
of a web site for which the information is currently stored in XML.
Right now our plans are to use style sheets to render the html pages and
load static html pages to our server.  Looking at the advantages a
dynamic XML solution could provide (i.e. custom queries, not having to
transform the XML every time a change occurs, etc...) we would like to
load the XML files and render the pages dynamically.

Our current solution is restricted because we CANNOT use ASP.  We have
to work within the confines of simple .html pages.

I've found the following JavaScript code that works GREAT for rendering
these dynamic pages.  I simply change one variable that I pass to the
style sheet and the XML renders just fine....IF the user is on IE 5.5 or
higher and has at least version 3 of MSXML.  Obviously I cannot police
this restriction and we have to make sure the site works on BOTH IE and
Netscape, and works for users without the version 3 of MSXML.  The
solution, render the XML server side (our server has MSXML 3+ and can
handle the transformation).

Does anyone know some snippet of JavaScript code that can handle the
server side loading of XML and render it to the client as html without
requiring the use of asp or that the client has the right version of
MSXML???  If this cannot be done without ASP we might have to resort to
a new plan or resign ourselves to tedious XML transformations and
data.  I've seen a few web resources that seem to indicate we can do
this, but I have yet to see a concrete example of how to do it.

Thanks!!!

Brian Magick

Here is the current working code I've found on the web for doing all of
the above on the client side:

    <script type="text/javascript">
			// Load your XSL
			var objXSLT = new
ActiveXObject("MSXML2.FreeThreadedDomDocument")
			objXSLT.async = false
			objXSLT.load("DomainStyleSheet.xslt")

			// create a compiled XSL-object
			var objCompiled = new
ActiveXObject("MSXML2.XSLTemplate")
			objCompiled.stylesheet = objXSLT.documentElement

			// create XSL-processor
			var objXSLProc = objCompiled.createProcessor()

			// Load your XML
			var objXML = new
ActiveXObject("MSXML2.FreeThreadedDomDocument")
			objXML.async = false
			objXML.load("domains.xml")

			// input for XSL-processor
			objXSLProc.input = objXML
			objXSLProc.addParameter("domain", "Domain1")
			// etc.

			// transform
			objXSLProc.transform()

			// display