Re: [xsl] XPath floating point arithmetic

Subject: Re: [xsl] XPath floating point arithmetic
From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 12:10:24 -0500
At 4:40 PM +0000 3/20/02, Richard Jinks wrote:
Hi

Can someone ease a bit of confusion for me, please?

In relation to XPath, what would the answer be to the following operation:

5.46 mod 2.6

Should it be

a) 1 (implying the numbers are rounded to nearest integer, then 'mod'ed)
b) 0.26 (implying some sort of floating point mod operation)
c) something else (implying I've got my sums wrong and need to learn how to
use a calculator)

The spec says "This is the same as the % operator in Java and ECMAScript" and in Java 5.46 mod 2.6 is indeed 0.26 (modulo rounding error) If libxml isn't giving you that, then it's a bug.

| Elliotte Rusty Harold | elharo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | Writer/Programmer |
|             http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/bible2/              |