[xsl] variable definition reuse

Subject: [xsl] variable definition reuse
From: "Laura Jenkins" <xsl_list@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 12:25:51 +0000

i have got a doubt.. this is regarding making my XSL sheet more reusable. i have got an xml file that looks like:

<ProductList>
<product id = "1">
<color>red</color>
<weight>23</weight>
<cost>150</cost>
<acceptance>90</acceptance>
<mnf-date>20032001</mnf-date>
<exp-date>20032002</exp-date>
<lable-design>XYZ</lable-design>
<mkt-agncy>ABC</mkt-agncy>
<serial-id>11111</serial-id>
<order-qty>90</order-qty>
<re-order-level>10</re-order-level>
</product>
<product is = "2">
<color>blue</color>
<weight>25</weight>
<cost>150</cost>
<acceptance>80</acceptance>
<mnf-date>20032001</mnf-date>
<exp-date>20032002</exp-date>
<lable-design>ZZ</lable-design>
<mkt-agncy>AA</mkt-agncy>
<serial-id>22222</serial-id>
<order-qty>70</order-qty>
<re-order-level>10</re-order-level>
</product>
<product>
<product id = "3">
<color>yellow</color>
<weight>30</weight>
<cost>200</cost>
<acceptance>50</acceptance>
<mnf-date>20032001</mnf-date>
<exp-date>20032002</exp-date>
<lable-design>PQR</lable-design>
<mkt-agncy>ABC</mkt-agncy>
<serial-id>33333</serial-id>
<order-qty>50</order-qty>
<re-order-level>10</re-order-level>
</product>
<product>
</ProductList>

and i have to develop the XSL to produce 20 different file formats.. some of them text, some xml and the others HTML. They vary by the way the data is arrainged.
now at the moment,
what i am doing is that in all the 20 XSL sheets, I am defining these variables like below..

<xsl:template match="//programme">
<!-- VARIABLE DECLARATION -->
<xsl:variable name = "color" select = "color">
<xsl:variable name = "weight" select = "weight">
<xsl:variable name = "cost" select = "cost">
<xsl:variable name = "acceptance" select = "acceptance">
<xsl:variable name = "mnf-date" select = "mnf-date">
<xsl:variable name = "exp-date" select = "exp-date">
<xsl:variable name = "lable-design" select = "lable-design">
<xsl:variable name = "mkt-agncy" select = "mkt-agncy">
<xsl:variable name = "serial-id" select = "serial-id">
<xsl:variable name = "order-qty" select = "order-qty">
<xsl:variable name = "re-order-level" select = "re-order-level">
.<!-- VARIABLE DECLARATION ENDS -->
.
.----- do some formating on these variables and display ( This block IS THE ONLY THING THAT CHANGES IN ALL THE 20 FILES ) ----------
.
</xsl:template>
This block remains same in all the 20 files. Now what i wanted to do is that define these variables in a separate file so that all the 20 XSL files can access/share these variables.
I am not able to implement this idea. Can some one be able to tell me if
1. it is possible to do define element specific variables in a different file??
2. it is the right approach to do it that way??

I want to essentially remove that variable declaration block and place it in a different file for reuse.

cheers
laura