RE: [xsl] FOP - what, where, when, how?

Subject: RE: [xsl] FOP - what, where, when, how?
From: Jim Melton <jim.melton@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 12:42:00 -0700
At 01:44 PM 2002-03-22 -0500 Friday, Peter Drivas wrote:
I have written applications that convert xml to PDF via the renderers and
while not
the fastest application, it is fine for our use. I'm not sure how big your
documents
are, but if they aren't much bigger that 10 to 15 pages and you don't embed
a lot of fonts,
the PDF can be created pretty quickly.

In fact, I have transformed some very large documents via XLST to XSLFO and then process to PDF using RenderX' Java-based XEP renderer. On a 3-year-old laptop (300MHz Pentium, 256MB memory, Win2K), I can process a several-hundred page document from XML to PDF in under 5 minutes, which is pretty reasonable, IMHO.

Hope this helps,
   Jim
Jim Melton --- Editor of ISO/IEC 9075-* (SQL)     Phone: +1.801.942.0144
Oracle Corporation            Oracle Email: mailto:jim.melton@xxxxxxxxxx
1930 Viscounti Drive          Standards email: mailto:jim.melton@xxxxxxx
Sandy, UT 84093-1063           Personal email: mailto:jim.melton@xxxxxxx
USA                                                Fax : +1.801.942.3345