RE: [xsl] FOP - what, where, when, how?

Subject: RE: [xsl] FOP - what, where, when, how?
From: "Snow, Corey" <CSNOW@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 12:00:20 -0800
> In fact, I have transformed some very large documents via
> XLST to XSLFO and
> then process to PDF using RenderX' Java-based XEP renderer.  On a
> 3-year-old laptop (300MHz Pentium, 256MB memory, Win2K), I
> can process a
> several-hundred page document from XML to PDF in under 5
> minutes, which is
> pretty reasonable, IMHO.

I have been following this thread with some interest because, although I
plan (eventually) to add the ability to generate PDFs to my XML-based
content management system. Right now, I mostly generate HTML, but I've been
constructing this system to not be specific to any one rendering mechanism.

Basically, I had planned to use XSL-FO to generate intermediate files and
distill them using Acrobat automatically. However, I don't want to do that
"on-demand", but rather when necessary, and simply store the resulting PDF
on a web server, file server, FTP server, etc depending on where I was
sending data. Users could then access these stored PDFs and I could update
them as necessary.

Does this seem like a reasonable solution? I have no need (currently or
anticipated) to generate PDF "on-demand", but from my reading of this
thread, I could do that with FOP if I have a burning need for it.

Regards and thanks,

Corey Snow

The information contained in this e-mail and subsequent attachments may be privileged,
confidential and protected from disclosure.  This transmission is intended for the sole
use of the individual and entity to whom it is addressed.  If you are not the intended
recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying is strictly prohibited.  If you
think that you have received this message in error, please e-mail the sender at the above
e-mail address.