Re: [xsl] Identity transformation (without using xsl:copy)

Subject: Re: [xsl] Identity transformation (without using xsl:copy)
From: Oleg Tkachenko <olegt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2002 19:35:04 +0200
Roger L. Costello wrote:
A few weeks ago I posted a message (below) asking how to do an identity
transformation (without using <xsl:copy>) on instance documents that
contain namespace declarations.  The resounding response was "no way".
[Thanks for your input!]  Okay, after much testing and reading I have
convinced myself that you are correct - <xsl:copy> must be used.  It
seems to me that this puts some serious limits on XSLT.  Consider this
simple problem:  write a stylesheet which does an identity
transformation, but where all element (local) names are converted to
upper case.  For example:
XML is case-sensitive stuff, so I believe this transformation has nothing to do with identity transformation by definition.

The more general question is: if I use <xsl:copy> to copy over an input
tree to an output tree how can I make modifications to elements names
(such as converting the local part to upper case, as shown above), and
modifications to each element's (non-namespace declaration) attributes?
Copy is just copy as is, you cannot use copy to make modifications.

--
Oleg Tkachenko
Multiconn International, Israel