Re: [xsl] explain of Joerg xslt (was: xsl:copy ...)

Subject: Re: [xsl] explain of Joerg xslt (was: xsl:copy ...)
From: "Carsten Klein" <carstenklein@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 08:48:07 +0200
Hi Mike,

: xsl:template does not cause anything to happen, though.

Oh, it does, "whenever the processor happens to process a node which
does
match this template..." =)

: Think of templates as rules for how to handle certain situations,
*if* those
: situations should happen to arise. "What to do in case of an
emergency" is
: not the same as "Cause an emergency" :)

Yes, this is what i meant, and I think I wrote this in the original
article, too.
But since I am lazy and don't have the article right at hand, I
can't verify and
it is not necessary to do so, I think.

: A tree is an abstract data structure. You can represent a tree as
a string of
: abstract Unicode characters that spell out tags and other markup,
and you can
: represent that string of characters as bits & bytes if you apply a
character
: map (encoding). In the big picture, it's all one and the same, but
we use
: different levels of abstraction depending on what we are doing.

Yes, abstraction is a good word. And I did abstract a lot, didn't I?
=)
Okay, your point is absolutely right, but

:     <xsl:if test="somethingTrue">
:       </td>
:     </xsl:if>

I never told anyone, to do this sort of thing, didn't I? Hey, I
mean, if I told someone,
I would feel terribly awful, since this is complete nonsense =).

: XPath/XSLT use XML documents, but conceptually they operate only
on a tree of
: nodes that is implied by those documents.

Yes, based on the level of abstraction used to explain how a
processor might work on
a xml source document in conjunction with a stylesheet. From the
processors point of view, when running,
it is all a tree of objects (nodes). But when trying to explain, why
a certain "node" from the source document, i.e.
"Indice", does not show up on the output tree (or document) I may
not have a big chance trying to tell
anyone who somehow has a blockade getting the grip on why this
element is missing, then I have to use a more abstract
level, even if, at first glance, this level of abstraction is not
that correct. This is what abstraction is all about,
way up from the concrete level of implementation to a, admittedly
very abstract level of thinking, which does not at all
correspond to the inner workings of a xsl processor. I will try to
be more formal on this, though.

I will stop here =).

Bye

Carsten