[xsl] Floating point numbers in XPath

Subject: [xsl] Floating point numbers in XPath
From: "Richard Jinks" <cyberthymia@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 13:00:13 +0100
Hi

Is there any standard default rule governing the conversion of a double to a
string when the double is of the form "0.x1" (where x is any number of 0s).
i.e. should string(0.000001) return "0.000001", "1e-6", "1e-06", "1e-006",
etc, or does the spec leave this open as implementation specific?
If there is a specific rule hidden somewhere, where is the cut-off point for
the number of 0s to output before the format changes to "1e-x"?

I've checked the obvious places (XPath Spec, Java Language spec), but
without any use.
I don't know if the IEEE 754 spec has anything useful, but most of the C
Compilers I've found don't agree, same with the XPath implementations.

Thanks for any help,
Richard