[xsl] xsl:variable ?

Subject: [xsl] xsl:variable ?
From: bryan hansen <bh5k@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 08:53:49 -0700 (PDT)
I am trying to use an xsl:variable to store a previous
value of a starting point for me to draw some
information. The syntax goes something like this:
.
.
.
<xsl:template name="foo">
  <xsl:variable name="start_x" select="5"/>
  <xsl:if test="true">
    <!-- use the variable and add to it -->
    <xsl:variable name="start_x" select="10"/>
  </xsl:if>

  <!-- if i use start_x here it just contains 5 and
not 10 -->
  <xsl:value-of select="$start_x"/>

</xsl:template>
.
.
.

I have read that xsl:variables are constant so it
would seem that I can not change the value of my
variable, but if this is the case then how can I work
around this problem? I need to store a value to use it
later and manipulate the variable?!

Thanks,

Bryan