Re: [xsl] xsl:variable ?

Subject: Re: [xsl] xsl:variable ?
From: Greg Faron <gfaron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 10:21:56 -0600
At 09:53 AM 4/10/2002, you wrote:
<xsl:template name="foo">
  <xsl:variable name="start_x" select="5"/>
  <xsl:if test="true">
    <!-- use the variable and add to it -->
    <xsl:variable name="start_x" select="10"/>

The new variable created here is only within the scope of the if-block.

  </xsl:if>
  <!-- if i use start_x here it just contains 5 and not 10 -->
  <xsl:value-of select="$start_x"/>
</xsl:template>

I have read that xsl:variables are constant so it
would seem that I can not change the value of my
variable, but if this is the case then how can I work
around this problem? I need to store a value to use it
later and manipulate the variable?!

Use recursion and call your named template with a starting parameter.

<xsl:template name="foo">
  <!-- Default value of 5 if none given -->
  <xsl:param name="start_x" select="5"/>
  <xsl:if test="true">
    <xsl:call-template name="foo">
      <xsl:with-param name="start-x" select="$start_x + 5"/>
    </xsl:call-template>
  </xsl:if>
  <xsl:value-of select="$start_x"/>
</xsl:template>

The above template is infinitely recursive because you didn't really provide a purpose for your template. I therefore have no idea what your criteria for stopping is. You'll probably want to add a second param that will get progressively smaller with each recursive call.

Greg Faron Integre Technical Publishing Co.