Re: [xsl] combine xml files

Subject: Re: [xsl] combine xml files
From: "Thomas B. Passin" <tpassin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 18:16:34 -0400
[Ming]

> Thanks a lot for your help and this is really helpful. But after starting
> thinking about the details, I found my problem is more complicate than
I've
> thought.
>
> The individual xml file is actually more complicate. We have more
databases and
> each record can appear in multiple databases. So, the xml file is actually
in
> this format:
>
> <xml>
>   <db1>
>      <title db=db1>  title in db1 </title>
>      <authors>
>      <author db=db1> author name in db1 </author>
>      <author db=db1> author name in db1 </author>
>       </authors>
>   </db1>
>   <db2>
>      <title db=db2>  title in db2 </title>
>      <authors>
>      <author db=db2> author name in db2 </author>
>      <author db=db2> author name in db2 </author>
>      </authors>
>   </db2>
> </xml>
>
> And I have a preference which contains the preferred database order for
title
> display, author display and so on. For example, title display's database
> preference is "db2 db1".  What I need to do is to loop through the
preferred
> list and find the title in that database.

I don't understand your problem enough to make suggestions.  Is there one
xml file per work?  If not, and if the title can be different in db1, db2,
etc., how can you know which block of data applies to the same work?  Do you
want to process all the files at once with the same db preferences?  Do you
have to look across multiple xml files to find the various entries for db1,
db2, etc. that apply to the same work?

Depending on the details of your task, it may be best to make two passes
through the files, but that remains to be seen

Cheers,

Tom P