Re: [xsl] Re: legacy embedded HTML

Subject: Re: [xsl] Re: legacy embedded HTML
From: Gary Lawrence Murphy <garym@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 14 Apr 2002 10:44:55 -0400

    R> If this is true, then why are trying to transform it using
    R> XSLT? Why not use something that works better with asci>? why
    R> do you feel the need for xslt?

Good question.  I lay awake at night asking this question.  It's
patently clear that of all the news service websites, I'm probably the
only one that is trying to use XML tools (with the exception of true
SportsML-based services like AFP) and it's also true this has been a
long trail of heartaches and frustration (not as bad as deploying
DocBook/XML, but a close second)

So ... frankly, I don't know.  There's a twisted sense that by
translating proprietary formats (even just partially) to NewsML, we're
building open-standards-based systems, and by placing the presentation
control into XSL, it wrests the ownership of presentation from the
developers and places it with the design staff, and thus all changes,
corrections, and extensions in the rendering code will not require a
tomcat reboot ... but those answers just don't satisfy (Design needs
a programmer to tell them about Java extensions)

Maybe it's a sense that, by deploying premature technologies, we
explore the edges, discover the holes and advanace the science just
that little bit farther? Nope, that's not it either ;)

--
Gary Lawrence Murphy <garym@xxxxxxxxxxx> TeleDynamics Communications Inc