Re: [xsl] Combining stylesheets for baseclass-subclass type documents

Subject: Re: [xsl] Combining stylesheets for baseclass-subclass type documents
From: Robert Koberg <rob@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 15:59:02 -0800
Hi,

Daniel Brockman wrote:

Can't you just include a.xsl in b.xsl? Call a on it's own and b includes a so it does what want?

Indeed I wish it was that simple. However, if you read my original message, you will see that it is not that simple in this case.

yes it is

This is the part that gets to the core of the problems (altough you should
really read it in full context):

i did. I think your thinking about it incorrectly.

So far, so good, right? Well, these are the problematic versions that I

want
to be able generate:

--- result 2a ---
<c:c xmlns:c="urn:c">
 <c:foo="a-specific information" />
 <c:bar="b-specific information" />
</c:c>

--- result 2b ---
<c:c xmlns:c="urn:c">
 <c:foo="a-specific information">
   <c:bar="b-specific information" />
 </c:foo>
</c:c>

Think about it for a while; how would you design the stylesheets?

I would not do it the way you are doing it.

I would have separate templates, something close to:
global_defintions.xsl {
- wrapper.xsl
- head.xsl
- nav.xsl
- banner.xsl
- footer.xsl
- html_body_tags.xsl
- sidebar.xsl
}
then I would have unique content views that are the target XSLTs:
- article.xsl
- use_case.xsl
- wizard.xsl
- form.xsl
- etc.xsl...

I believe this is the best way to layout out XSLT for a website. I would be very interested in continuing a debate on this. Please don't hold back criticism! :)

best!
-Rob