Re: [xsl] XSLT Processing Model Questions

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT Processing Model Questions
From: Matt Gushee <mgushee@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 19:22:53 -0600
On Sun, Apr 14, 2002 at 09:06:33PM -0700, Dietrich Ayala wrote:

> i do not understand how your answer explains the difference between:

> <xsl:apply-templates/>
>
> and:
>
> <h1>
> <xsl:apply-templates/>
> </h1>
>
> in the first, the the results of subsequent templates are appended to the result tree as children of the <body> element. In the
> second, the results are appended as following-children of the <h1> element.

Maybe I'm just dense, but I don't understand what you mean by that last
sentence, or what leads you to believe that is what's happening.

> in template 2, which has a match value of "doc/title", the results of the template are appended to the result tree as
> following-siblings of the source-tree-context-node *even though* the use of apply-templates in each template is the exact same.

Nor do I understand what it means for a template result to be appended "as
a following-sibling of the source-tree-context-node." Once a result tree
fragment is generated, it has no relationship to nodes in the source tree,
does it?

One of us is confused here (or maybe both :-) . Are your statements based
on observing the results of your transforms, or something you read, or ...?

If you could provide a little more detail, it would be very helpful to
whoever is confused.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, Colorado, USA