[xsl] plain txt output tips

Subject: [xsl] plain txt output tips
From: Nathan Shaw <n8_shaw@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 07:29:59 -0700 (PDT)
Hi all,

I am attempting my first real plain txt transformation
and think that I have it going in the right direction,
but I have a few questions.

1) What is the best way to force line breaks? Right
now, I am using <xsl:text>&#xA;</xsl:text> to do it.

2) How can I limit the line length? I have run across
several templates that break your lines at xx num of
characters, but none of them a) consider breaking
right in the middle of words nor b) how you handle
breaking in a mixed content model, which is what I am
working with.

I appreciate your help!

--Nate

FYI:

Here is a snippet of the XML I am working with:

<Section Title="">
<Media type="image" id="issrail"
file="http://www.nasa.gov/images/031902_issrail.jpg";
align="left" width="110" height="83" border="0"
alt="Space Railroad">
<Caption align="bottom">Space Railroad</Caption>
<Link type="internal"
url="http://spacerailroad.nasa.gov/"; />
</Media>
as they did the old, railroads will take flight next
month as the first space railroad is launched aboard
Space Shuttle Atlantis.</p>
Space Station, the car on this railway will have a top
speed of only 300 feet per hour, but the entire line
-- tracks and all -- will travel almost nine times
faster than a speeding bullet, over 17,000 miles per
hour, in orbit. The rail line eventually will stretch
almost 100 yards along the structural backbone of the
station, serving as a mobile base from which the
station's Canadian-built robotic arm can assemble and
maintain the complex.</p>
	<List type="unordered">
		<ListTitle><Link type="external"
url="http://www.yahoo.com";>My UnOrdered
List</Link></ListTitle>
		<ListItem>This is list item 1</ListItem>
		<ListItem>This is list <Link type="external"
url="http://www.google.com";>item 2</Link></ListItem>
3</em></ListItem>
	</List>
	<List type="ordered">
		<ListTitle>My Ordered List</ListTitle>
		<ListItem>This is list item 1</ListItem>
		<ListItem>This is list <Link type="external"
url="http://www.google.com";>item 2</Link></ListItem>
3</em></ListItem>
	</List>
	<Media type="video" id="issrailvid"
file="http://www.nasa.gov/images/031902_issrail.mpg";
align="right" width="250" height="100" alt="Space
Railroad Video">
	<Caption align="right"><strong>Space
type="external" url="http://www.real.com";>Real
Player</Link> to view it.</Caption>
	<Link type="external" url="http://www.real.com"; />
	</Media>
coasts of the United States, thousands of workers
endured desert heat, frigid mountains and countless
obstacles. These rails in space will run in
temperatures far hotter than any desert and far colder
than any mountain," said NASA Mobile Transporter
Subsystem Manager Tom Farrell at the Johnson Space
Center in Houston. "And just like the transcontinental
rails pulled together our country, these rails pull
together 16 nations around the world, cooperating in
orbit." </p>
url="http://www.Atlantis.org";>Atlantis</Link> will
launch the railcar, called the Mobile Transporter, and
an initial <strong>43-foot section</strong> of track
as it delivers the first segment of the International
Space Station's exterior truss. Designated "S0
(S-zero)," the first section of truss will be carried
aloft by Atlantis on shuttle mission STS-110 in April.
More sections of track will be added during the next
two years as eight segments of the girder-like truss
are launched aboard the shuttle. By the end of this
year, the tracks already will stretch more than 130
feet. When completed, the truss will stretch over 360
feet, the longest structure ever built in space.</p>
</Section>

=====