[xsl] pattern matching in xslt

Subject: [xsl] pattern matching in xslt
From: David Nelson <David.Nelson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 15:32:00 -0500
Hello everyone,

I would sincerely apprec. any help you might offer.  What I need to do is
tokenize a node value into chunks, filter the trash and return in the xml,
the new clean string. I'm a newbie with xslt and am having a tough time
deciphering how to accomplish this.

As an examle:

<document>
	<description>The quick .. brown fox .. jumped over .. the lazy ..
programmer</description>
</document>

apply xsl and return: <result>The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy
programmer</result>

Any recomendations on how to do this?  I have combed the documentation I
have so I could also use advice on better documentation as to the
implementation of XSLT.  Specifically, I'm using Xalan.

Thanks!