Re: FW: [xsl] XML transformation using XALAN

Subject: Re: FW: [xsl] XML transformation using XALAN
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 11:36:03 +0100
> What should I use to specify that the schema lies locally in the same
> directory with the
> name POSchema.xsd?
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <POS xmlns="?">

It is explict in the namespaces rec that it is not a goal of namespaces
in general, or xmlns= in particular, to refer to a schema. (Although
unfortunately the schema spec does allow that as a fallback option).

By adding xmlns="anything" to your document you are changing the name of
every element in the document from having no namespace component to
having namespace name "anything". Note it is the literal string of
characters in the xmlns="" that is the namespace name, that string
does not have to refer to any actual file anywhere.
having changed the name of your elements your XPath expressions no
longer match.

If you want to refer to a schema without placing all your elements in a
different namespace, write the schema so that it specifies unnamespaced
elements and then use xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="POSchema.xsd" where
xsi: prefix is declared to be the schema instance namespace as specified
in the schema docs.

David