[xsl] Extending xsltproc?

Subject: [xsl] Extending xsltproc?
From: Gary Lawrence Murphy <garym@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 25 Apr 2002 10:07:09 -0400
I've been playing around with xsltproc and while I realize it is just
a proofing tool not meant for serious transforms, I'm wondering just
how far it can go.

Are there any references or tutorials anywhere for how I might add
extensions to the XSL understood by xsltproc?  The website only
discusses extensions via C as applied to the libxsl C functions; it's
not clear if there is any mechanism for xsltproc to dynamically extend
itself.

Then again, maybe I don't need to extend it. The two transforms I
would like to implement seem easy and commonplace, but are proving
elusive: I would like to render a node-set into rows of columns
without resorting to disable-output-escaping to insert the
modulo-column </tr><tr> break, and I'd also like to be able to present
a node-set in a new random order on each call.  If either of these
effects can be done directly with xsltproc, I'll be one happy camper.

--
Gary Lawrence Murphy <garym@xxxxxxxxxxx> TeleDynamics Communications Inc