Re: [xsl] Fwd: Over/under trimming of whitespace

Subject: Re: [xsl] Fwd: Over/under trimming of whitespace
From: "Thomas B. Passin" <tpassin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 17:34:58 -0400
[David Morris]

> I have a stylesheet to convert from XHTML to FOP. I haven't been
> able to come up with a good way to distinguish between an element
>
> I want an element with whitespace to do nothing and to generate an:
> <fo:inline white-space-collapse="false"> </fo:inline>

> The bigger problem is that specifying the following
> on a template rule that matches an element with whitespace
>
> <fo:inline white-space-collapse="false"> </fo:inline>
>
> becomes
>
> <fo:inline white-space-collapse="false"/>
>
> rendering this solution completely useless.

You could put in a non-breaking space:

<fo:inline white-space-collapse="false">&#160;</fo:inline>

Otherwise, you have to instruct the parser to leave whitespace-only nodes
alone (depends on the parser defaults).  How to do that depends on the
parser.  If the parser takes them out, xsl:preserve-space can't do anything
about because it's too late by then.

Cheers,

Tom P