Re: [xsl] Fwd: Over/under trimming of whitespace

Subject: Re: [xsl] Fwd: Over/under trimming of whitespace
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 23:24:18 +0100
: I have a couple of problems here, I thought that normalize-space()
: should return a single character if any whitespace exists.
why?:-)
As you spotted it returns empty string but you only need a minor tweak
to your test
test="normalize-space()='' and .!=''"
is true just if the string value of the current node is non zero white
space.

: The bigger problem is that specifying the following
:  on a template rule that matches an element with whitespace
:
: <fo:inline white-space-collapse="false"> </fo:inline>
:
: becomes
:
: <fo:inline white-space-collapse="false"/>

white space nodes are stripped from the stylesheet by default
except in xsl:text so easiest is to use

<fo:inline white-space-collapse="false"><xsl:text> </xsl:text></fo:inline>

: any whitespace with a retained single character of whitespace.

all this so far is only doing white spae nodes in teh source, it won't
do anything with
<x> a   b

c  d
</x>