[xsl] removing spaces from attributes with saxon

Subject: [xsl] removing spaces from attributes with saxon
From: ChivaBaba@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 06:11:37 EDT
Hi together,

I'm using Saxon652 and got problems when I want to use the normalize-space() - function to remove white-spaces from an attribute. Processing the following code, the whitespace within "@name" is never removed:

 <xsl:variable name="f">
  <xsl:value-of select="normalize-space(@name)"/>
 </xsl:variable>

 <xsl:document href="{normalize-space($f)}.html">

As you see, I already tried to mormalize it two times, but neither the first nor the latter nor both versions together work in an appropriate way!!

I'm dealing with this problem now for too much time and would be glad to get a competent suggestion to solve it.

Thanks a lot,
Stefan Greim

ps.: one more general question: is it not possible to declare variables by referring to values of other variables, as the following example shows:

<xsl:variable name="sep" select="system-property('file.separator')"/>
<xsl:variable name="dir" expr="{$sep}html{$sep}"/>

when trying this, my variable "dir" is always empty....