RE: [xsl] Counting number of characters of sibling text node

Subject: RE: [xsl] Counting number of characters of sibling text node
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 13:27:09 -0400
Mike:

As I understand it, what I'm doing here is constructing an RTF and then asking for its string-length. Won't the string length of a result tree fragment be the length of its value (i.e. the whole thing)?

Admittedly, when RTFs go away (in XSLT 2) I'd have to wrap the copied nodes in a wrapper in order to get the desired behavior; but won't this work in XSLT 1.0?

Any clarification you can shed on this would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Wendell

At 12:58 PM 5/22/2002, you wrote:

> But if you do
>
> <xsl:variable name="this-and-preceding-siblings">
>    <xsl:copy-of select=".|preceding-sibling::node()"/>
> </xsl:variable>
> <xsl:value-of select="string-length($this-and-preceding-siblings)"/>
>
> you may get better results.

No you won't. string-length() works on the first node in the supplied
node-set.

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael.H.Kay@xxxxxxxxxxxx