RE: [xsl] Counting number of characters of sibling text node

Subject: RE: [xsl] Counting number of characters of sibling text node
From: "Andrew Welch" <awelch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 14:06:55 +0100

>What I want to do is to count the number os characters in a  text node
and all previous >text nodes children of the current text node's parent.

For this xml:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<root>
  <node>
    xxx
    yyy
    zzzz
  </node>
</root>

This xsl should do the trick:

version="1.0">

<xsl:template match="/">
  <xsl:apply-templates/>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="node">
  <xsl:variable name="theText">
    <xsl:apply-templates select="text()"/>
  </xsl:variable>
  <xsl:value-of
select="string-length(translate(normalize-space($theText),' ',''))"/>
</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

Here I think its best to store all of the text() children of the node in
a variable.  The text nodes may contain whitespace as well, so to get
rid of that use normalize-space() and then do a translate() to remove
the single white spaces that are left.

cheers
andrew

---