Re: [xsl] •

Subject: Re: [xsl] •
From: "J.Pietschmann" <j3322ptm@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 08 Jun 2002 20:13:42 +0200
Greg Martel wrote:
But I think I do if I want to make it so that this entity, and quite a few other numeric entities, survive the transform to html for later posting. Otherwise I get "*" in my html code rather than "&8226;" which displays like this "⤢".

There is no such thing as a "numeric entity". If you declare an entity, the entity name must be a valid XML name, i.e. starting with a letter (roughly). This: &#8226; is a character reference, not an entity reference. It is hardwired in the XML parser as an alternative representation of the Unicode character U+2024 (ONE DOT LEADER). You can not and you need not declare an entity #8228 or 8228. I do not understand what you mean by "survive the transform to html for later posting". If this meahs you want to have a one dot leader in the HTML, simply write &#8228; in your XML. It will be converted into the one dot leader in the output. You seem to expect the output should contain &#8228; at this place, but it does not. The most probably cause is that you use UTF-8 encoding for the output, and the XSLT processor writes the character in this encoding to the output stream. You appear to view the output with a tool which is not aware that it is UTF-8 encoded. You can try to enforce another encding, for example use something like: <xsl:output method="html" encoding="encoding="iso-8859-1">

J.Pietschmann