Re: [xsl] Errors when trying to use Xalan instead of Saxon

Subject: Re: [xsl] Errors when trying to use Xalan instead of Saxon
From: "KUMAR NINGASHETTY" <kningashetty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 16:20:43 -0400
Hello Jason ..

   I had similar problems when moving to Xalan from MSXML ...Ofcourse i solved it now...

   Inorder to avoid these of xalan and xerces to be used i went to this "Latest Stable  build" on
http://xml.apache.org/dist/xalan-j/old/        which is basically xalan-j_2_0_0.zip
along with which we added jaxp.jar

  Also i  had clash with other xalan , xerces that comes sometimes with  IDE's or Application Servers and Databases ..So basically
 you need to remove any classpath references for other forms of xml related jar which sometimes go unnoticed.

hope it helps ..goodluck with it ...

- kumar

>>> jason.silva@xxxxxxxxxxx 07/22/02 02:40PM >>>
Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone knew of any differences between the Saxon 6.5.1 parser and the Xalan 2.4 parser.
I am currently working on a project that uses Saxon, but we are attempting to migrate to the Xalan parser.

The project has been working fine with Saxon but as soon as we attempt to use Xalan instead we get a
transform.TransformerConfigurationException. The exception is as follows:

javax.xml.transform.TransformerConfigurationException: javax.xml.transform.TransformerConfigurationException:
javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException
at org.apache.xalan.processor.TransformerFactoryImpl.newTransformer(TransformerFactoryImpl.java:767)

There are a couple errors that follow, including some suspicious looking error:

Caused by: java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException
        at org.apache.xml.utils.BoolStack.peek(BoolStack.java:172)
        at org.apache.xalan.processor.StylesheetHandler.pushSpaceHandling(StylesheetHandler.java:1592)
        at org.apache.xalan.processor.StylesheetHandler.startElement(StylesheetHandler.java:650)
        at org.apache.xml.utils.TreeWalker.startNode(TreeWalker.java:346)
        at org.apache.xml.utils.TreeWalker.traverse(TreeWalker.java:167)
        at org.apache.xalan.processor.TransformerFactoryImpl.processFromNode(TransformerFactoryImpl.java:225)

Here is the snippet where the build fails.  The line marked with the * is the exact line numer:

Element root = transform.getDocumentElement();

  if ( root.getTagName().equals("xsl:stylesheet") )
      {
         *Transformer transformer = TransformerFactory.newInstance().newTransformer(new
                                                                                   DOMSource(root/*transform*/));
         transformer.transform(new DOMSource(model), result);
      }

The transform variable is of type org.w3c.dom.Document

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

Jason Silva