Re: [xsl] xsl/xslt coding standard

Subject: Re: [xsl] xsl/xslt coding standard
From: Jeni Tennison <jeni@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 10:34:45 +0100
Hi Brian,

> Since the W3C already defines documentation elements for schemas,
> why not just bring those over into XSLT 2.0.
>
> A brief illustration is at
> http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2000/11/29/schemas/part1.html?page=7
>
> Bringing these over into XSLT would require two new elements:
> xsl:annotation and xsl:documentation. Nesting <xsl:documentation>
> within a parent <xsl:annotation> element might seem like overkill,
> since the <xs:appinfo> element from schemas is probably superfluous,
> but it would allow for the easy future addition of other types of
> documentation-related elements.
>
> An XSLT processor would be expected to quietly ignore any children
> of <xs:annotation> which it didn't recognize.

If you take the idea of using document-element-prefixes to mark
certain namespaces as being for documentation, people who wanted to
could bring across that pattern of documentation if they wanted.

I rather suspect that it's overblown for XSLT -- as you say,
xs:appinfo doesn't have much purpose for XSLT since the stylesheet
*is* the application! Also, as DaveP said, we don't want documentation
to swamp the code, and having so many elements, with such long names
(!) would do that, I think.

So I wouldn't want to see them "copied across" but of course if that's
what someone wants to use, I think we should have a method of
documentation that helps them to do so.

Cheers,

Jeni

---