Re: [xsl] Abbreviated form of XSLT?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Abbreviated form of XSLT?
From: Trevor Nash <tcn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 19:33:08 +0100
On Wed, 09 Oct 2002 13:17:58 -0400, Ken wrote:

>Though it is Turing Complete, I tell my students to not regard XSLT as a
>programming language, but as a templating language.  The paradigm (I feel)
>is "transformation by example" not "transformation by imperative program code".

I agree that anyone coming from an *imperative* programming background
needs to relearn a few things.  But saying XSLT is 'a templating
language' surely risks confusion with interpretive technologies like
JSP, ASP etc?  That association also needs to be avoided, or you will
find people trying select="x/$var/y" and such.

XSLT is a *functional* programming language.  Ask Dimitri ;-)

Trevor Nash
--
Traditional training & distance learning,
Consultancy by email

Melvaig Software Engineering Limited
voice:     +44 (0) 1445 771 271
email:     tcn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx