RE: [xsl] XML document to WORD??

Subject: RE: [xsl] XML document to WORD??
From: "Richard Lander" <rlander@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 10:08:37 -0700
I've done this in the past.

It is actually surprisingly easy, as suggested below.

The basic approach is:
1. create the Word representation you want of some markup, in Word,
against your template if you are using a template other than normal.dot
2. Save the document out as WordHTML
3. Figure out what is going on, then write the WordHTML coding to your
XSLT
4. Run a transform against a sample document that would map to the
content in step 1
5. Open up resultant document in Word. If it doesn't work, then figure
out how to make it work
6. Repeat until you've mapped your doctype to Word.

Tips:
1. Don't give up, thinking that you cannot make something to work. If
Word can rountrip certain content, then so can you
2. There is a significant amount of WordHTML that you won't have to
represent your template, as the template provides Word with the same
information
3. You may need to do some dirty work creating some non-wellformed
structures, such that you'll need to do things with xsl:text
disable-output-escaping="yes"
4. Relying on styles within a template makes this task much easier
5. We did this work w/o any internal Word specs, but by simple
reverse-engineering Word. You can likely do the same.

HTH,

Rich