Re: [xsl] LaTeX -> RTF, is XSLT the right tool?

Subject: Re: [xsl] LaTeX -> RTF, is XSLT the right tool?
From: MindFuq <mindfuq@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 19:15:53 +0000
* bryan <bry@xxxxxxxxxx> [2002-10-24 18:40]:

> So the question is: Did you indeed find it to be  either faulty(by not
> handling these details), process intensive(by handling these details),
> neither of the above because you in some way structured your markup or
> pre-processed it so as to remove this problem, or four not an actual
> problem because the chance of such a thing occurring was negligible?
>
> If four can you tell me how often the RTF conversion is used, types of
> documents used with etc.

I'm not sure exactly what details you're referring to.  I merely wrote
something small that would take some xml data (specifically,
information about a software test), and output a table in RTF.

It was kind of painful.  RTF is the ugliest open standard format I've
ever encountered.  Word doesn't handle RTF that it didn't produce very
well.  One of the biggest headaches was when Word would constantly
crash or produce a screwed up table, when the RTF was solid and
complied with the spec.  It turned out that Word didn't like trailing
whitespace at the end.  A single whitespace took me hours to
troubleshoot.

But in the end, it was nice.. and worked well.  I'm afraid to attempt
to write something larger.. like something that will process an entire
document.  There are so many pitfalls to expect with RTF.