Re: [xsl] Accounting for Arbitrary Wrappers Without Going Mad

Subject: Re: [xsl] Accounting for Arbitrary Wrappers Without Going Mad
From: Trevor Nash <tcn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 15:57:28 +0100
On Mon, 21 Oct 2002 17:46:10 -0500, "W. Eliot Kimber"
<eliot@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>I'm wondering if there's a general pattern for approaching this type of
>markup other than the brute force method?

I guess by 'brute force method' you mean replacing things like
    match="x/y"
with
    match="x/y | x/epic:*/y"

I also tried
    match="x/(epic:* | self::node())/y"
    match="(x/epic:* |x)/y"

only to be reminded that these are not legal match expressions - pity,
they seem to be well enough defined and would be very useful here.

(can a particular element be wrapped more than once? I can't think of
a convenient syntax for handling an arbitrary number of intervening
nodes)

I would consider inventing an extra bit of syntax, and producing a
genuine XSLT from it by some kind of preprocess: perhaps sed or XSLT
itself.  How difficult this is depends on how complex your match
expressions can get.  It would have been even easier had the
alternative patterns above worked.

Will you post anything you come up with here?

HTH
Trevor Nash
--
Traditional training & distance learning,
Consultancy by email

Melvaig Software Engineering Limited
voice:     +44 (0) 1445 771 271
email:     tcn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx